Yes, you can purchase firearms over state lines, however you must take delivery through a local holder of a Federal Firarms License. You must also comply with your own state laws.

Most orders via mail are for special firearms, not usually available at a firearms store. Look in your Yellow pages under Guns & Gunsmithing." Call your local firarms retailer and ask what fee they would charge for doing a firearms transfer. Be prepared to give your local firearms dealer the name, address, phone, fax and email (if available) of the company, store or individual you want to obtain the firearm from. Your local firearms dealer will send a copy of his FFL (Federal Firearms License) to that individual/company.

If a firearm does NOT cross state lines, depending on your local state laws, you would take a different course of action. In several states, two private residents of the same state could find firearms online and do a transaction within the state. Firarms CANNOT go through the U.S. mail from two non-FFL Holders. In other words, if you do not possess a Federal Firearms License, you CANNOT use the U.S. mail to ship firearms. ONLY an FFL holder can send firearms through the U.S. Post Officewith the use of their Form 1508. A gunsmith can use the U.S. post Office if he/she is returning a firearm to its original owner. All things considered, the transaction should be done in person.

WORDS OF CAUTION Many times, individuals have a few firearms they no longer want. Or, they have inherited a few guns from a relative or friend. In many states, when an individual wants to sell one or a few of these firearms, they are treated and viewed as "private sales" HOWEVER, it's kind of like selling your car in a "private sale". If you sell one or two cars, that's okay. But, if you sell six cars ayear, many states might consider you an unlicensed dealer - which is a BIG problem.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (BATF), which is the Federal entity which regulates gun sales, has never givem a hard definition of where the line is between "private sales" and unlicensed firearms dealers. if you are selling your own collection, and it is legal in your state, you should be okay.

All firearms owners MUST act responsibly and with good common sense. if you are selling the guns you got from your grandfather, take a hard look at who wants to purches them. It is your responsibility as a concerned citizen to NOT sell any firearms to anyone that you feel does not meet Federal or state laws as far as gun ownership is concerned.

To be safe, you should get full identification for any "private sale." If the gun is used in a crime, and it is traced back to you, then you should have a record of who you sold it to and some indication that you were acting responsibly.

If you are about to enter into a "private sale", and the would-be buyer of the firearm(s) does NOT want to give you identification, you should pass on the sale.Firearms used in crimes by career criminals, come mainly from two places. (1) private sales where the seller was NOT acting responsibly in who they sold the firearm to, and (2) stolen firearms.

If you inherited firearms and you do NOT need the money or care to have firearms around your home, we'd like to make the following suggestion. Donate them to the Natinal Rifle Association. The NRA number for donation of firearms is 703-267-1602.

If you want to realize money from the sale of a firearm, but do not want to handle the sale yourself, we'd suggest finding a local firearms dealer that takes consignments. The dealer will sell the firearms(s) via the NICS (National Instant Check System) regulations, local laws, Federal laws, etc. If the firearm was used in a crime, the trace would not come back to you, but rather the firearms dealer. Above and beyond all of the above, consignment of firearms to a local dealer avoids who-knows-what showing up at your front door looking for guns.

  Copyright © 2008 - All rights reserved